Thursday, October 15, 2009

The grocery stores are like cathedrals


I knew it. I just knew it. And I was right.

It took him a couple of weeks to get settled before he was able to finally send me a report from the field.

“The grocery stores are like cathedrals. I can see stars
at night. I live in a pretty big apartment in a complex on the
northeastern part of (redacted). Beyond north campus to a nice
residential area. Tree-lined streets, solid stores, the
works.Lol...there is a bit of Rip Van Winkle factor for me going on
too. Wait, you mean I can get a GPS in my car now? I can buy things at
Target for a third of what I would pay in New York? Wait, I can buy
wine and groceries in the same store? Look at the produce, it's
amazing here! When I first saw the washer and dryer in my apartment, I
started looking for where to put the coins in. I sleep for 7-8 hours a night. And I really sleep.”


Just as I imagined. Back there, back in the real world where I came from, things are different than they are here on the other side of the screen. Where you don’t have to spend nights on your knees and others on your back just for the privilege to spend more nights on your knees and on your back.


The grocery stores are like cathedrals. It’s so true. The aisles are massive, wide enough for a two-lane highway. The shelves are piled high, everything all pristine and neatly in a row. Machines don’t require money to function. They just do.

I dream of rolling hills and seeing stars at night. Instead, I smoke the hills, and see stars at the grocery store. And in the mirror. Sparkling like magic, coolly whispering in my ear.

“fuck me harder, baby. fuck me g
ood.”

No comments: